Travel in India is never that easy, but a bit of planning ahead makes life a lot easier. Here is the tour we have specified after the Brahmasthan.
So how would you like to to know our plans?
Originating at the Brahmasthan Sunday 10 March 2013 and ending in Delhi the Saturday 16 March: Here’s what we asked for:
1. Travel from the Brahmastahan of India, Bijauri campus to Allahabad by car or good train departing morning of Sunday, 10 March 2013. If we can pick up the train at a Sihora Rd Station, that would be nice, saving us driving all the way to Jabalpur – but not if it is a very slow train.
2. Hotel accommodation in Allahabad nights of Sunday 10 March and Monday 11 March. We prefer hotel near as possible to the Maharishi ashram at Arail. Kanha Shyam would do. The objective is to visit the Maharishi Smarak and take a dip in the Ganges on Monday.
3. Travel to Allahabad to Rishikesh, on the morning of Tuesday 12th of March, air, with least stops, I suppose via Delhi.
4. Hotel accommodation in Rishikesh at the Ganga Kinare or Glass House – please quote both – for four nights – 12 ,13, 14, and 15 March. Mention distance from which airport so we can estimate taxi cost – or will hotel arrange transfers?
5. Travel Rishikesh to Delhi: by car or air – please quote both – back to Delhi, on Saturday 16 March.
HERE’s WHAT WE GOT:1. Brahmasthan to AllahabadOption 1: Train from Katni Stn (54 km north of Brahmasthan) to Allahabad 10 March as of now the seats are available kindly let us advise on urgent basis.Ticket Cost Rs.825/- per ticket in 3AC Cabin.Train – Kamayani ExpressDepart Katni – 1010 hrs (Convenient!)Arrive Allahabad – 1530 hrsTime taken 5hrs 30min.We went for:Car cost One way drop – Rs 11,000 with Toyota SUV . THIS IS GOOD, THANKS GO AHEAD BUT ONLY IF GOOD AIR CONDITIONING – VERY IMPORTANT!2. Hotel Accommodation at AllahabadHotel Kanha Shyam Double Room In 10 Mar – Out 12 Mar. TWO NIGHTSTariff Rs.6700/CPAI (=bed and breakfast) per night (included Breakfast and taxes)3.09%GST exclusive on total billing. THIS IS GOOD AS PER YOUR EMAIL TODAY- GO AHEAD3. Allahabad to Rishikesh – there were no connecting flights, so we opted to fly from Varanasi nearby to Dehradun 12 Mar via Delhi.So the trip is: Allahabad to Varanasi 12 Mar by Car (nightmare but survivable)Car Type Sedan Medium( Indigo) Cost Rs.6000Car Type SUV (INNOVA) Cost Rs.7000 – GO AHEAD ON THIS PLEASE, ALTHOUGH IT IS A BIT PRICEY FOR A 120 KM DRIVE…Flight Schedule 12 Mar Varanasi to DelhiSpice Jet SG 233 – Dep Varanasi 11:30 Arr Delhi 12:50 PM
Then connect to the flight to Dehradun.
Spice Jet SG 2223 – Dep Delhi 15:05 Arr Dehradun 16:00 PMTicket Cost RS.4,836 per ticket. GO AHEAD, PLEASEPlease note Airport of Dehradun isJolly Grant Airport and distance between Rishikesh and Airport is 35Kms.4. Accommodation at RishikeshGO AHEAD – PLEASE TRY TO GET US A RENOVATED ROOM AWAY FROM THE DINING ROOM AND RENOVATION WORK IN PROGRESS, AND VIEW OF MOUNTAINS, NOT TOWN.Hotel Ganga Kinare Double room In 12 Mar – Out 16 MarTariff Rs.4500/+ 12.42% taxes(Includes Breakfast)
5. From Rishikesh to Delhi by car 15 MarCar Type Sedan (Indigo) Rs.8000/-Car Type SUV (Innova) Rs.9000/- THIS IS GOOD – GO AHEAD – AIRCON NB
MORE Q AND A:Q: I love it! Cannot wait to get there! Richard, what do you suggest about currency for India? I am told that is better to buy Rupees here in SA before traveling because getting US Dollars and the exchanging to Rupees will mean double charges and ultimately a loss in value. Let me know how you normally go about this. A difficult guess but how much would you budget per day? I imagine that at the Brahmahstan we will not need much cash daily, but how much do you normally set aside per day when you travel in India?A: Take plastic. ATMs all over the place – far better than changing cash at banks. Hotels under R1000 per night, some waaaaay under that – but you get what you pay for… Meals R150 per day. Taxi R100 per day. Shopping – you name it – buy shawls, carpets, clothing, artwork – fabulous! At the Brahmasthan you spend nothing. Even internet is free.Q. Is there any general reading on india that you believe I should do prior the trip, or do you believe I should contrive nothing and simply experience it first hand?A: its all over the web. We like Enjoying India-the Essential Handbook by JD Vharini (actually by Terry Tucker, a TM teacher) Highly recommended. Amazon …?Q. Please remind me of the website address that I should check out for the Brahmasthan.A: maharishiindiacourses.com – its in the briefing notes – go the FAQ page – good stuff thereQ: I can’t attend the briefing kindly email me the notes of the discussion.Sorry. I’m not promising what I may not be able to deliver.
Q: Emailed (the Brahmasthan Course Office). Have not had the courtesy of a reply. So your advice from Alain is of interest. What did he say to put you off road transport? We are still thinking of hiring a taxi. The standard trains are not that appealing . Our experience is that the toilets are awash & difficult for females. Also usually late on arrival.
A: We have also found they don’t reply much – now I know why! Unimaginable workload. So be patient, and try not to trouble Alain if not utterly necessary. Alain said a German group had done the car ride and said “next time train.” So … its a lottery.